Saturday, May 25, 2013

Meshes of the Afternoon


"One of the few films that I remember fondly [laughs] is Meshes of the Afternoon and I saw it when I was sixteen, so thirteen years ago, and I saw it in school, and it really affected me, strongly. As I remember the plot is pretty cyclical and I’m sure my memory of it will be even more convoluted [laughs]. Am... there is this woman walking down the street in LA, it’s in black and white, and it feels immediately drugged or dreamlike, and... there are these stark shadows. Maybe some flowers in a gate, she goes into a house, it’s maybe her friend’s house, it’s not her house, and takes a nap and then what follows is a dream, but not quite a dream of... there is this malevolent kind of male figure, creeping in the corners, and doubles her... and then certain objects that, I can’t remember what, if they had any significance or role but they are early distinct; there is like a knife, a key, a loaf of bread, kind of like violent domesticity, and... maybe more flowers and maybe they are still outside. At some point the male figure appears to be this figure in a cloak with a mirror face, it was terrifying, to me [laughs]. But then other times I think it’s a, I can’t remember if we can actually see his face or not, but I think I remember that it was actually her husband or her lover that played him, and then they made the film together. Am, there is a scene where she is sitting at the table with herself, and... I believe she awakens, and then she’s still in the dream or realizes the dream is not real. Am... there is a death. She is killed, I read it as a suicide, at the time, she is looking at herself and, I can’t remember how it ends at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment